Thursday, November 13, 2008
recipe fo you.
black bean and sweet potato chili
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
* 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
* 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
* 3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
* 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt
* 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable or chicken broth
* 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
* Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
* Garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, green onion slices
Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Add bell peppers, jalapeño, and sweet potato; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients; stir and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and broth. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Stir in beans, and continue to cook 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lime juice.
got it here!
i recommend going on the lighter side with the spices. i like spicy. but everyone's noses were running it was so spicy. ha! and we drank almost an entire gallon of milk. and heather doesn't even like milk. it's very very yummy chili. i will be making it again soon for sure.