Friday, September 2, 2011

gramps.


12.31.1918 - 08.31.2011

Gramps, some things I would like you to know...
...you have always shown me it's never too late to learn something new.
...the farm is busy harvesting beans, potatoes, raspberries, cherry tomatoes. (you always liked to know.)
...you have passed on an appreciation for farms and old barns.
...you have passed on an appreciation for art & music...what a treat it always was to hear you play your harmonica at family parties.
...I always let voicemail answer when you called on my birthday so I could listen to the recording again & again of you playing happy birthday on your harmonica.
...I loved the way you & grandma teased each other. You have inspired me to keep laughing as I grow old and make memories with Justin.
...I loved to hear the 'grandpa laugh'.
...you have inspired me to be a hard worker.
...we like to make fires grandpa would be proud of when we go camping! (that means a 4 foot log is always burning)
...we will take good care of grandma. She made Fabienne smile lots yesterday.
...Bingo bango grandpa I love you.

more lovely tributes to gramps here and here.

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. Your gramps sounds like he was an amazing man and the love you two had for each other is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marla,
    I'm so sorry that you've lost Grampa. Have been praying for all of you and will continue to pray. I won't be able to make it to the calling hours tonight, but please know my heart is with you. Praying that God's peace, comfort, hope, and strength are felt by you all!
    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. deepest condolences to you and your family, marla. much love to you all. truly lovely to see the celebration of his life through your family's blogs. many prayers to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Marla. You and your family are in my prayers <3 you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for you loss, please know that i am praying for you,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so very sorry for your loss. This post is exquisite. I hope that you have peace.

    Alita

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss. Your Grandpa was a great man. We are continuing to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we have 3 messages on our machine from gramps on my birthday. he didn't know it was recording the first time, was in the wrong key the second time and got it right the third time. <3

    ReplyDelete